August 27, 2009

The Little Launcher that Could

Launchy is a launcher application for Windows and Linux. It hides in the background and allows you to launch an application, a document or go directly to a web site by just typing a few keystrokes. Its interface cannot be any simpler and works like Google Desktop Search.

I have been using it for a couple of weeks and I am truly impressed. I have indexed my web links, folders, pdf files and Office documents. That covers the large majority of documents and files I access on any given day. I am also using Google Desktop Search, but found that as the number of indexed documents increased, it is not as effective and it takes me more time to find my files. Launchy does not replace Google Desktop Search, but it has cut down on the amount of time I was spending looking for files and other information. Great add-on and it's an open-source project! You can download Launchy from SourceForge.net by clicking here.

Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment